Harfield Components Ltd, a family-run business, is the UK's leading manufacturer and distributor of polycarbonate tableware with nearly 50 years experience of supplying the public sector. Harfield approached Fripp Design and Research to design a two handed beaker to improve the lives of those who find it difficult to use conventional cups and beakers.
The brief from the client was very specific; the beaker had to have:
- Two large handles to cater for a variety of hand sizes
- A smooth curved design to reduce the risk of injury
- Cut outs to reduce sliding on flat services
- A tapered top so the lid can be pushed in and secured to reduce spills
What we did:
- Market research was carried out regarding beakers and the challenges impaired users might come across while drinking
- Following the research we submitted a range of two handed beakers designed to cater for the client's needs, all of which needed to be easy to mould and comfortable to hold
- After a number of iterations the chosen design was finalised so it could then be taken into CAD Design
- The beaker was then produced in CAD and all necessary draft angles were added for production
In addition, we incorporated measurement graduations on the front showing 50 - 250 ml to help those who need specific amounts of liquid in the cup.
The end result was 'production ready' CAD with the beaker now in production.